Tuesday, December 25, 2007

The Journey so far..!!

My MBA preparation journey started in June-07. I already knew the GMAT format and had all the necessary preparation material. While exploring the application deadlines I realized that I didn't have enough time for 2008-2009 session of ISB/IIMA, so I took GMAT appointment for 18-July. The count-down had started... I had 45 days to prepare for the exam. As the G-day approached, it became clear to me that I wasn't prepared. I knew that I needed luck on my side to reach 680-710 score. On the G-day, I scored 640 (Q-48, V-31). Clearly, luck wasn't on my side, but more importantly my approach to GMAT was wrong from the starting itself. So, I started preparing again and decided to take on GMAT once I felt confident of reaching 750+ score.

It was clear to me that I needed to brush-up, or rather learn, English Grammar. I wasn't thinking critically. I relied more on my instinct while answering. Even in Quant section, I would rush and make mistake. So clearly, I needed a thorough preparation in all areas for the second attempt. I perpared a plan in Excel sheet (Yes, I'm in IT Industry!) and started preparation with full vigor. The first one month went in english grammar, my weakest link. This time I also corrected my approach. I wouldn't leave a question until I understood the errors in all five options. I wasn't prepared yet, but had certainly improved a lot.

Critical Reasoning was next in my plan. I came across an e-book on critical reasoning. This book helped me in understanding the different logic fallacies, difference between an argument and a factual statement, etc. I wasn't satisfied yet. I was still making many errors and more importantly found myself at loss while choosing the right option. Then, I got Power score LSAT Logic Reasining Bible. This is the ultimate book on critical reasoning! I read this book completely and solved every single question. After completing this book, I also did OG-11 CR questions and saw dramatic increase in % correct answers. I was doing Ok!

I spent the next two weeks for Quant preparation and practice. Towards the end, with good concentration, I felt my accuracy is good. This time, another difference in my approach was to actively participate in the discussion forums. The best forums that I have come across are prachi_pareekh_gmat (yahoogroup) and Gmat_May_2007 (google group) groups. A typical preparation day for me would start at 9-10PM. I used to spend the next one hour in solving all the questions posted in these two groups. I would work as per my prep plan for the next 2-3 hours.

By Sept. end, I felt I am ready to take on GMAT again. So, I took the appointment for 3-Nov and prepared another plan for the last one month. I bought MGAMT 6 full length tests. was taking FLTs every week and later on almost every alternate day. I was consistently scoring in the 710-770 range.

And eventually, G-day approached. I couldn't sleep the night before. But, this time I wasn't worried at all. In fact, it was the excitement that didn't let me sleep. The 5 hours passed..saw score of 600 (Q-48, V-25) staring at me!! I was devastated yet again!

No comments: