Monday, April 21, 2008

How to use POE effectively?

In response to my earlier post on CR, Prachi & Vikas suggested me to always use POE in Verbal section of GMAT. If I remember correctly, even Tranquil suggests this in his blog. I too identified this as one of the areas of improvement in CR, but I don't like the idea of drawing answer grid on the erasable answer sheets. This affects my speed and sometimes confuses me if I miss marking one question. I need to check the question number on the computer screen and then make entry (POE) under the right row/column.

So, I adopted this trick in a different way. While reading the SC/CR/RC, I just mark "N" for the answer choices that are surely WRONG ones and mark "K" for the answer choices that, I think, could be RIGHT answer choice. The advantage of this method is that I can mark this anywhere. I don't worry about the question number or row/column on the answer grid. All I need to ensure that I don't move my pen/marker from the place where I'm writing. I have been practicing this for the last one week. This seems to be working..!!

My POE entry on the answer sheet for any question would look like "NKKNN". This means the answer choices have narrowed down to B & C. Read the answer choices B and C again, identify the correct one, and move on.

So far so good..!! If you think this is a good approach, or you use some other approach that you find helpful and don't mind sharing the trick, Please leave a comment here.

4 comments:

Aryan-Arjun said...

Hmm...let me try this approach..This seems to be good..
BTW—I read your story so far..Awesome optimism you have...From where did you get the "Power score LSAT Logic Reasining Bible"

Aryan's Mom

Aryan-Arjun said...

BTW—When is your GMAT date?

An MBA Aspirant said...

Hi,
Thanks for u'r comments. For PowerScore LSAT Logic Reasining Bible, try esnips. If you're unable to get it, I can send it to you.

Regards,
- An MBA Aspirant

Aryan-Arjun said...

I tried in esnips, but couldn't get it. Can you please send it to me??
Thanks in advance.
You can send it to this email ID vishalkarmore@yahoo.com

Aryan's mom